Thursday, May 12, 2011

To Text or Not to Text...

There was an interesting article that I found on the Fox 4 News website about Missouri changing the law on texting while driving (If you click on the image, it should pull up a bigger font to read).  Currently, the law states that anyone under the age of 21 cannot read a message or text while driving.  In my opinion, it should not matter your age when it comes to texting and driving. 

Last year, a co-worker of mine was telling me that he watched an Oprah show on this topic.  During the show, they had a simulator showing someone texting and driving and someone who was drunk and driving.  The vision of the person who was texting and driving was more impaired than the vision of the person who was drunk and driving.  Before he told me the outcome, I would have though it would have been the person who was drunk and driving.

This seems to be an interesting topic going on today.  What are your thoughts on this topic?

5 comments:

  1. The laws surrounding texting while driving will be interesting to follow. In time, it is likely that some uniform legislation will occur in all states as accidents continue to mount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I see adults texting while driving all the time. They start out by slowing way down then they are either weaving, or turning with no signals. A lady in our office has the habit of texting us on her way to work to let us know where she is in her drive. Its annoying to me and I have jokingly chidid her about driving and texting but she says she only does it at a stop light. Come on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is scary. There is a compromise for texting and driving for the iphone there is an app called vlingo and it will read the text to you and allow you to reply to the text by speaking the message. I think that even if no texting is a law, many people will still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I agree. I think even if there is a law that is passed for no texting while driving, people of all ages will continue to do it. I'm guilty myself because I have done it before and then I think to myself, why did I do that?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I agree that there should be a law. I know I'm guilty of texting and driving. I try to only text if I am at a stoplight, but I can't always wait. It's a dangerous habit. I've seen some commercials for this. The saddest one is a young girl showing the text her sister was reading or responding to when she was in an accident and killed. I can't imagine how hard that would be to live with. Very senseless

    ReplyDelete